A great way to teach prepositions

Bears in the Night - 'Stan Berenstain',  'Jan Berenstain'

The cover of this book identifies it as being a Beginner Book for Beginning Beginners, which sort of puts me way, way, way out of its category. This book is pretty much designed for people who are learning to read (though surprisingly, there are probably more people my age who are at this level, and have spoken English most of their lives, than the government is willing to admit).

Hey, I'm not going to knock this book because as a kid I loved it. The sentences were very short, and related well to the pictures, so it enables us to identify the sentence and the action with the picture that it relates to. It also repeats the same phrase regularly so, as a kid who is learning to read, it helps put these concepts into our minds. Also, it is useful for training in the use of prepositions, because each of the actions relates to one of the bears in relation to an object (over the wall, under the bridge, between the rocks).

It makes me wonder though if the way that language is constructed, and Wittginstein indicated just that, that the whole concept in and of itself, is relative. Things only have names because we give them names, but the name itself, of an object or an action, is pretty much relative. In fact, even the preposition that is used to define the relationship between two nouns, is also pretty relative. I wonder, as I read this book, whether I can actually translate it into German, which may be a good exercise as I attempt to learn the language.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/684595866