Elric travels to Tanelorn

The Vanishing Tower - Michael Moorcock

I can't really remember much of this book because it has been a long time since I actually read it, though I believe that I did end up making my way through pretty much all of the Elric series. I am not sure either if I still have them, and I suspect that I don't because I ended up purging a lot of my books when I was somewhat younger to try to reduce the amount of clutter in my room. In a way I wanted, at the time, to not be burdened down by stuff so that I could move if I wished, but everytime I get those desires, I ended up finding myself remaining for an extended period (probably because moving is such a headache).

This is sort of what has happened to me here in Melbourne, not that I am upset about it, but because I have realised that the place where I now live is actually quite convenient and I feel that if I were to move then it would probably be a little unwise. Okay, I wouldn't mind living in other parts of Melbourne (as I have, in a way, lived in many parts of Adelaide) but at this stage there is no need to move because the Landlord is good, the house mates are good, there is a good church in walking distance, and the train station is nearby as well.

As for this book, well, one thing is that it is about the city of Tanelorn. Tanelorn is like a city that has existed, and will exist, for eternity. It is one of those cities that is always there, though it is covered in some sort of mythical veil. When I was in Rome they claimed that their city was an eternal city, and that it is the oldest city in the world, or more precisely, the oldest contiguous city in the world. Being the cynic that I was, I immediately set out to disprove it, and low and behold, I discovered that it wasn't – that honour is given to Damascus (though I felt maybe Athens and Jerusalem would hold that title as well, but Damascus is older than Athens, and Jerusalem has not had a contiguous population).

Mind you, in this modern age of world wide communication, the whole concept of the mythical city no longer exists. The entire world has been mapped, and can be viewed Google Maps. As such pretty much everything that we can know about the geography of the Earth is known, though we must also remember that in the Elric saga, they are not necessarily trapped on the one planet and do seem to travel about to other dimensions.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/654736176