Tigger gets caught out

Winnie-The-Pooh and Tigger - A.A. Milne

Well, this seemed like a bit of a pointless book. It is probably for older children, and the technique that is used here is to have a block of text with some pictures so that as they are reading they are learning to develop pictures of the events in their mind. Where as the others that I have read so far seem to go sentence by sentence, this one goes paragraph by paragraph.

The story is about Tigger and Roo going out for a picnic lunch and while they are looking for a nice place to have lunch Roo is asks Tigger whether he can do things such as fly, jump, and swim. Tigger's response is that he can, it is just that he does not feel like it at the moment (sound's like an excuse that I would use). However, they get to a tree and Roo asks if Tigger can climb the tree, so he says he can and does so, but gets caught halfway up and can't get down. To Roo this is awfully exciting, though we do not notice any embarrassment with Tigger (who has been talking himself up throughout the entire book).

Could there be a moral here, particularly since a lot of children's books seem to do a lot out of moralising? Here, like the Bert and Ernie Golden Book I recently read, seems to suggest that we shouldn't go around talking ourselves up unless there is a basis to that fact. However, the problem with our society is that it is based around promoting ourselves to the best of our ability (I believe they call it sales). There is actually no room for the humble and the honest because if you are humble and honest then you are probably going to be left behind.

Also, I have noticed that Little Golden Books seem to be mostly Disney characters telling Disney stories. I suspect that Little Golden Books is owned by Disney, however I don't really find them as exciting, or as fun, as the Dr Suess books. I guess that has always been a preference of mine, as opposed to some anti-Disney corporate objection that I have with that particular company.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/685519903