Certainly not the best of Blyton's books

Mr. Meddle's Mischief - Enid Blyton, Rene Cloke

Look, as a children's author Enid Blyton is second to none, and as an author of children's mysteries, Blyton is simply superb, but like all authors there are books that one writes that are simply rubbish, and this is one of them. Okay, it is not the worst of her books, the Braer Rabbit books earn that award, but this book is getting pretty close. Probably the only good thing about this particular book is that it is short and I can get through it pretty quickly and then move onto something that has a lot more substance (and in this case it happens to be Kit Marlowe).

Personally, there isn't much that I really want to write about this book, and I notice that I have already written about Mr Muddle in another book I read in this series. That is good because there is not much more that I really want to write about this guy. At least with Braer Rabbit and Binkle and Flip there was some intelligence in those characters, even though they only existed to simply get up to mischief. With Mr Meddle, all we have is some moron who tries to do good and makes a complete mess of everything that he does. I would hardly call this a morality tale, and in fact, like the other said books that I have mentioned, this is completely the opposite. Okay, if there is a moral to this story, that is that one should not meddle in other people's business. That is all well and good, except that Mr Meddle is trying to do good, and doing a really bad job at it and getting into trouble because of it. As such, this is one of those books that I really don't want to have anything to do with, and really, in the end, forget about it and pretend that it does not even exist.

Now I can start reading some Kit Marlowe which something good has come out of this book.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/818319177