Discworld goes to Hollywood

Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10) - Terry Pratchett, Tony Robinson

I must admit that this was not one of my favourite of Pratchett's books but I suspect that if I end up reading it again, the score might go up and the review may change, however we are getting to a point where maybe the best of Pratchett's Discword content is behind him and he is exploring other avenues to try and get a laugh. Okay, Pratchett does more than try to get a laugh, and in a way it is sort of like the Simpsons where Pratchett uses a fantasy world to poke fun at the weirdness of our world. In a way Anhk-Morpork is probably supposed to be London, though in this book I suspect it is more like Los Angeles (though I think I'll stick with London considering Pratchett is English).

This entire story is a satirical look at the movie industry, and Hollywood in particular, however in my opinion it did not seem to work. Okay, I liked the book, but a part of me felt that Pratchett may have been trying too hard. There were some good jokes in the bok, though most of them didn't make me laugh all that much. I guess my favourite scene is where all the animals come and start talking with the hero Victor and the rabbit ends up taking huge offence at being called Thumper. It ends up that Victor makes a friend with a talking dog names Gaspode (though since he is ugly, he doesn't get noticed all that much). Poor old Gaspode though has to put up with all of the attention being focused on a stupid dog named Laddie (and it is clear that, even only being able to speak dog, all Laddie can do is say 'good dog Laddie, good dog).

The tired old themes of 'everybody wants to make it in Holly Wood' are played out, as well as the idea that actors don't actually do all that much (which is why Victor likes the job so much because he does not like doing anything all that much). I would have to agree with Pratchett on that because there are a lot of people out there that work incredibly hard for a pittance, but actors seem to rake it in. Okay, I should be a little more specific and say that only a certain small group of actors seem to rake it in, when in reality all they have to do is to do stuff in front of a camera and that is it.

In a way it is how the economic system of this world is structured. There are people out there who work incredibly hard every day of their life, are careful with their money, only to lose it all in a stock market crash. There are others that simply because they have the right connections, or make the right friends, end up living a life of luxury and doing token things to suggest that they care for the poor (for instance the CEOs who sleep out on the street for a night to say that they care about homelessness, only to go home to their mansions and sleep in a comfortable bed, or the same CEOs who say that they care about the poor in society but are not willing to substantially cut their pay to more realistic levels while the employees in their company struggle to make ends meet).

When the global financial crisis hit I suggested to my boss that one way to actually kick start the economy was to increase the pay of the average worker so that they had more disposable income to go and buy stuff. Hey, I have quite a lot of disposable income, but I tend to shove a lot of my money away into investments. However, I am one of the few that would do that (and if my pay were increased, it would only mean that more money would get shoved away into investments). However, I am a bit more of a realist because I also understand the nature of supply and demand, and the fact that there are limited resources. The thing is that the more money there is in the hands on the ordinary person, the more people there are wanting to buy limited amounts of stuff, which means the price of that stuff increases to meet that demand. However, on the flip side, if there are less people out there buying stuff, and that means that there is less demand for the stuff, then the price will drop accordingly. However, the catch is also that the less people buying stuff, the less money companies are making, which means more people out of work. That is why I like investing in utilities.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/614192861