The series is really starting to grind to a halt

A Crown of Swords - Robert Jordan

All I can say about this book is that nothing happens. This is not a [book:Waiting for Godot] or a [author:Ernest Hemingway] nothing happens, but rather a book in which something is supposed to happen but, well, nothing happens. Look, I am a fan of books in which nothing happens, as long as nothing happens within about 200 pages, not nothing happens over 896 pages which is a part of a series of books which all have the same amount of pages in them. Okay, I feel that a fantasy, or even a science-fiction, novel in which nothing happens could actually work, but it does not work in this book, or in this series, because, well, things are supposed to happen, and things had been happening for a few books, but all of the sudden, the things that do happen become less and less, and all that we get is a pointless discussion among three women.

Some have also suggested that the explicit detail goes overboard. Okay, once again, simple details may work in a piece of modernist writing written by a modernist author, and it can also happen in a science-fiction/fantasy setting, but the problem is when there is too much detail which ends up making nothing happen even longer. It seems that by this book Jordan has pretty much lost his way – completely. In a way it seems that he does not even know what he is writing because he seems to be trying to write one way using a device that does not simply work with this sort of novel.
Jordan's series are supposed to have a plot and are supposed to be moving in a direction, and things are supposed to be happening, but the frustrating thing is that they are not happening. In fact nothing is happening and by the time you get to the end of this book you sort of wonder whether anything else is going to happen. Hey, there are 12 books in this series, each of them of equal length, and if in each of these books nothing happens then you are going to end up throwing them against the wall in disgust, or at least be tempted to use them as insulation, or even an open fire place (not that I actually support burning, or destroying, books, but with some books you do get awfully tempted).

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/704914353