Everything you need to know about fighters (for 2nd Edition that is)

The Complete Fighter's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Player's Handbook Rules Supplement) - Aaron Allston

People seem to be saying under commentaries for this book that fighters are the poor cousins of the AD&D world. I say rubbish. I think fighters are cool. What other class can run around (and I mean run, not hobble, or crawl) in full plate armour waving a whopping great big sword dealing humongous amounts of damage to some poor monster that has just realised that attempting to eat him may not have been a good idea. I guess Terry Pratchett had the right idea when he said that wolves learned to avoid humans because it turned out that they had hard shells and sharp edges.

Seriously, fighters are cool, and this book simply makes them even better. In fact, the stupider the fighter is, the better he becomes, though I must admit that they do become a little boring after a while, and even with adding things like feats, as they did in 3rd edition, they still end up becoming boring. However, at least they are not restricted in the same way that Paladins are restricted. I do realise that other classes do have a bit more character with them, such as rangers being the quintessential woodsman, but still, I loved creating that simple fighter whose only ability was to be able to inflict massive amounts of damage on their opponent.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/705712007