I must have been really bored to read this book

Black Trillium - Marion Zimmer Bradley;Julian May

This is another of those books that I read a long time ago that I can't remember anything about: in fact I never actually remembered reading this book until I saw it sitting on the shelf of a second hand bookshop when (for some unknown reason) I was running my eye over the science-fiction/fantasy shelf (maybe because I was looking for something vaguely interesting, or at least the DS9 books that were set after the series, not that they would be any good, but then I can't really comment on books that I haven't read).

Maybe that should have been a clue as to why this book wasn't any good. I can still remember books that I read in English in high school many, many years ago (Lord of the Flies for instance, or that book about the kid who stole a motorcycle and then proceeded to kill an old lady) but this book, I cannot remember anything about it. However, by perusing the comments on Goodreads I have noticed that not many other people though very highly of it either. Okay, it had three female protagonists and was written by three female authors, but that is not necessarily going to make a book any good.

What makes me wonder though is how multiple authors sit down and write a single book. Do they write a chapter each, or do they hand each other parts of the book to write, and then come together and attempt, in some way, to merge the stories together. Or, as I suspect was the case in this book, they each take a main character (and maybe some minor characters), go away and develop them, and then use their developments to draft the book. I also suspect that they will also sit down around a table and try to nut out how the book will go (though that is probably the easiest part since a lot of fantasy writers these days simply take the plot of Lord of the Rings and change the names, isn't that right Terry Brooks?).

I sort of wonder if there is anything else I can say about this book, and I personally don't think there is. It is sort of like one of those things where you get three famous authors together to collaborate on a work, and the work ends up failing abysmally. It is not really the authors fault, but then again I must admit that of those three authors, this is probably the only book of theirs that I have ever actually read (though I did read another book of Norton's recently and was not all that impressed with it).

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/506376741