Let the Games Begin

Myth Directions - Robert Lynn Asprin

Well, it is 11:30 (it was 11:00 when I first started writing this review but my computer crashed which mean I lost everything – so much for autosave) and while I should be in bed fast asleep since I do have to go to work tomorrow I would rather be sitting here writing my review because, well, I would rather write a review than think about going to work, especially since my brain juices get a lot more exercise doing this than what I do for eight hours in a day. Mind you, I probably would have finished this review by now if my computer hadn't crashed and I had to do a hard reset (and no, I don't use Windows, or a Mac, but that is beside the point), but I guess I'm going to have to continue talking about this book because, well, I would rather do that than lie in bed (and I can also catch a snooze on the train on the way to work).

Anyway, what can you expect from Myth Directions? Well, you can expect the slapstick hilarity that you have come to expect from Asprins other books (and by they way, make sure your check out <a href=”http://booklikes.com/robert-lynn-asprin/author,32262”>his picture</a> on Booklikes, it's pretty cool – it certainly looks like the guy whose brain would come up with the Myth Adventures series – your typical, everyday, 70s hipster). The characters that you have grown to love once again make an appearance, along with a few new ones (including Tanda's brother, who turns out to be a bit of a surprise). Ahaz is his good old scheming self, and Tanda is makes a rather flirtatious return (but would you expect anything else from her). Anyway, here is a picture of our heroes:

Oh, Gleep also comes back as well, but then again those of us who have read the first book probably know that Gleep ain't going anywhere (he's such a cute little dragon, though apparently he isn't that little by this time).

So, Skeeve wants to learn how to dimension hop, but Ahaz explains that to be able to dimension hop one needs to have visited over dimensions, and the Bazaar at Deva doesn't count (particularly since Skeeve always lands up in trouble when he's on Deva). To Skeeve's surprise Tanda rocks up and convinces Ahaz to let them go on an journey across the dimensions and Ahaz reluctantly agrees on one condition – Skeeve is not to get into trouble. Well, you can guess what happens – Skeeve gets into trouble.

Anyway, they end up on this would that has been at peace for five hundred years, namely because the two superpowers have a sporting event once a year and the winner of the sporting event gets to rule the world for that year. Unfortunately, Skeeve happens to upset the balance which results in Tanda getting abducted and the two superpowers preparing for war (despite the fact that they have actually forgotten how one is supposed to prosecute a war, but that is beside the point). So, to try and save face, or at least get Tanda back, they agree to take on both sides, at once, in this game.

Well, it turns out that this game has some rules, not many mind you – sort of five people on the ground at a time, and you have to get the ball through the hoop, oh and no edged weapons. Mind you, that happens to be more rules than your average game of keep-off, which is basically “don't let anybody else get the ball” which theoretically means that somebody on the sidelines can run onto the field, push a random person into the mud, and run off again (and it also means that the random person can then run off the field, punch that someone in the face, and run back onto the field – and my jaw still hurts).

Well, sport, it's a funny thing isn't it, and sometimes people, when they actually watch a game, wonder if there are actually any rules to the game. Okay, maybe a game like American Football, or Cricket, has clearly defined rules, but if you watch a game of Aussie Rules it might make you wonder if the title is actually in a foreign language that translates to 'football without any' (and the work aussi is actually a French word). Mind you, it is interesting because we all get distracted by these games and in many ways it simply seems that it is very much like what happens in Jhak – two teams go at each other once a year and the winner gets bragging rights – that's pretty much about it. Mind you, I do go to the occasional sporting much, and it really does get pretty emotional, but in the end I sometimes wonder whether it is worth it, especially since if my team loses I leave completely emotionally drained, while if my team wins I get, well, what is it that I get – nothing really. Somebody once said that I get bragging rights – but bragging rights ain't going to put food on my table.

I think I need a different hobby – maybe computer programming.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1670073351