SPOILER ALERT!

Dresden's Now a Spook

Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) - Jim Butcher

Well, I've just finished another of the Dresden Files, and I have two more to go before I hit the end of the ones that he has already written (and it seems that the next book after Skin Game hasn't hit the shelves yet – I wonder if he is now going to do a George RR Martin and continue to delay the release of this book because, well, he's basically either run out of ideas or become bored with the concept and moved onto something different).

Before I continue I feel that I probably should say something:

Anyway, at the end of the last book Harry died but it seems that death isn't actually the final chapter in his story because he is suddenly yanked back into the real world (or should I say the shadowy realm between reality and what lies beyond death) and told to go and look for his murderer. Well, this is going to be interesting – a ghost hunting their murderer – but then again this concept isn't something all that new since I understand that that is what revenants are supposed to do (though I'm not sure if they are actually ghosts).

So, Butcher has now taken us into a new part of his universe – the shadowy world between life and death, where those who haven't gone to either eternal damnation, or eternal rest, are left to drift about for whatever reason it is that they are here drifting about. We are also introduced to a variety of ghosts, from the poltergeists, which are ghosts that have become insane and can now physically manisfest in the real world (though he doesn't actually mention them by name), to the lemurs and wraiths which are, well, I'm not actually sure what they are, they just are other types of ghosts and aren't very friendly ones at that.

As for the book: parts of it I liked, and there are some really interesting twists in it, similar to the ones that appeared in his early books (though I had a pretty good idea who the murderer was going to be, though the actual protagonist turned out to be a surprise – one of Harry's Nemeses comes back to, well, haunt him in the afterlife, and as for the reason for the murder, well, that was also a bit of a twist), and it did lead to a somewhat exciting ending. Though I do have to say that by the time I got there the book was starting to get a little dry, and when everything had been said and done the book continued to drag on for a bit. I guess it had a lot to do with Harry realising there was still unfinished business and the fast train to the fiery furnace wasn't going to be stopping for him at this time.

Mind you, it isn't a book that I would recommend starting on, and it certainly isn't one of his best, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Oh, and since we are on the subject of ghosts, an interesting piece on the origin of the word 'boo':

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1633951779