Learn to see the Benefist, not the Flaws

Mr. Tall - Roger Hargreaves

I have to admit that I quite like the Mr Men books, or at least the ones that I've read so far. Actually, that's not all that surprising considering that they were some of my favourite books as a kid and I've probably read all of them more times than I can count. I'm not sure if I have all of them or not (though I do know that I don't have the Little Miss Books, though for all I know my sister might have a couple stashed away somewhere). Anyway, it's not that they have an encouraging story between their covers, but also that they are so short that I can read them and then write a review in some random place (such as I'm doing now – that is writing a review while sitting on a train heading out to regional Victoria).

Anyway, Mr Tall is about this guy who is, well, really, really, really tall. In fact he is so tall that he can walk forty miles in something like four minutes (is that actually possible?). Mind you, it isn't that he is tall, it's just that he has really long legs (which is probably why Usain Bolt runs so fast). I can actually empathise with the guy because my legs are also pretty long, which means that I regularly have to slow down to let my shorter legged friends keep up with me.

Well, Mr Tall really don't like being tall – he towers above everybody else which makes him stand out – a lot; he can't fit in his bed; and he can't go for a swim in the ocean because as soon as he gets to a point where it looks like it is deep enough, he is halfway there and is stating to go out the other side. So, when Mr Small goes for a swim he ends up sitting on the cliff (they look like the white cliffs of Dover by the way), with his legs all the way down to the ground.

Mr Tall's probablem isn't so much his legs, but rather his perspective of the world. It is not because he is tall, but rather because he is different, which is what the book tries to teach us. Mr Tall wanders around all day, rather depressed, because he feels that he can't do things because his tall legs are a handicap. However they are not so much a handicap as they are handicaps simply because he lets them be as such. When a parade of Mr Men walk past him, each of them having something that is much bigger than normal (such as Mr Nosey's nose), he begins to realise that one is wasting his time bemoaning his misfortune, and learns to see the benefit. Sure, he may not be able to go for a swim, but her certainly can walk really really fast, which means that he can get home a lot quicker that many of us.

Unfortunately, having been caught up in the delight of his revelation he sort of forgets something important.

(show spoiler)