The Hateful Eight - Another Great Tarantino Movie

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/The_Hateful_Eight.jpgDirector: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Samuel L Jackson, Kurt Russell
Release: 30 December 2015
IMDB User Rating: 8/10
Rotten Tomatoes User Rating: 78%

The one thing that baffled me about this movie was the title – there were actually nine people in the hut, not eight, so I am sort of scratching my head as to why it is called the Hateful Eight? Well, once again IMDB comes to the rescue and points out that one of the characters is actually a neutral character (which one I won't mention since I don't actually want to spoil the movie). Anyway, this is Tarantino's eighth movie, and ironically I also give it an eight (namely because I am really stingy with my 9's and 10's). Anyway, while Tarrentino is a great director, and I do really enjoy his movies, I'm going to have to say that his true masterpieces are now behind him (which is probably why he has suggested that he is only going to make two more movies).

One thing that struck me about this film is how similar it is to Reservoir Dogs. The reason I say that is because it is about a group on people inside a single room, and most, if not all, of the action occurs within the room. Okay, Tarrentino doesn't stick strictly to the unity of time and place (but then again he's not really one for following rules) however like Reservoir Dogs we basically have eight characters (actually nine) whom we know little, if anything, about. Okay, we do know about Warren, Ruth, and Daisy, but the rest of the characters are literally an unknown, and this is what adds to the suspense of the film.

I have to be honest and say that I didn't know what to expect from this film, and that is what is so great about Tarrentino. All I knew was that it was about a group of people stuck in a hut in the Wyoming wilderness during a blizzard, and that was it. Sure, Tarrentino loves his ordinary conversations, but that is what makes him stand out from the crowd. It is his typical trade mark film where nothing seems to happen and all of a sudden you are caught in the middle of a bloodbath.

One thing that I have to say is that Jackson is certainly getting on in years, but he is still a great actor, and Tarrentino really knows how to use him. As for Russell, well, if you know Kurt Russell you will know what he is like, and he certainly doesn't disappoint. If you like a good old fashion Tarrentino movie, then this is definitely worth watching.

For those who have seen the film and are interested in a deeper look at it I have written a blog post on it.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/reviews-699