A Graphic Rendition of an Awesome Novel

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Volume 1 - Homeland (Dungeons & Dragons Legend of Drizzt Tp) - R. A. Salvatore, Andrew Dabb, Tim Seeley

Okay, here I am reading another graphic novel despite the fact that I constantly proclaim that I don't like graphic novels. So, the question is, am I a hypocrite? Well, not entirely namely because I have broadened my areas of writing to include businesses, which means that I write on Yelp, True Local, and Trip Advisor (though Trip Advisor doesn't have a list of comic/gaming shops in its database, despite the fact that I used to travel just to check out the gaming shops), and since most of the people on these sites don't review comic books shops I decided to step up to the plate and do just that. However, if I'm going to review a comic book shop it means that I actually have to buy something from it – a comic book – which is why I land up with all these graphic novels.

Anyway, this one actually turned out to be pretty good, but that is probably because it is based on a pretty good book. When I was perusing the offerings at one particular comic bookshop in Adelaide (owned by some guy named Wally, who by the way has absolutely no customer service skills, but has been in the business for thirty years and seeing off most of his competition) my eyes fell upon this particular book, and having quite enjoyed the original book (and not wanting to grab another Marvel comic – let's wait until Captain America: Civil War hits the cinemas before I go for a Captain America book), I decided to grab it.

I guess the idea of not having any expectations on its content worked in this case because I was instantly hooked – in fact I couldn't put it down, to the point that I had to resist the temptation to put my feet up on the table at work and just finish reading it (I'm sure the boss wouldn't have been all that impressed if I had done that). As I said, it is based on the original novel, and does add a new dimension to it – you get to see that Matron Malice isn't actually this old hag but a pretty attractive woman (but then again she is an elf, and they don't age all that fast).

Anyway, if you haven't read the books, but are looking for a story full off intrigue, backstabbing, and nasty monsters, as well as some good old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons adventure, then this is definitely something to check out. In fact I enjoyed it so much that I am half tempted to see if the other volumes are available, and if they aren't, then to keep an eye out for when they are released and snap them up immediately.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1483357831