Another space commando adventure

Sky Lord - Martin Allen

I must admit that this book was pretty ordinary, but then again I am beginning to find that these later gamebooks are all becoming quite dull. Gone are the good books where you could make an easy map of the area. Now they seem to have all boiled down into random choices which you are forced to make based on not so educated guesses. At least with the early books there was a semblance of being able to chart your progress so that if you did make a mistake, or took the wrong path, you could work out where you needed to go to be able to successfully complete the quest.

Okay, this was not necessarily the case with many of them, and maybe it is because these books are at the stage where I have not read them previously which is why many of them are new to me. However, even some of the early ones suffered from this problem where it was difficult to track your progress (such as Starship Traveller) to enable you to then go back to the book and try again.

In this book you play a 'Sky Lord', which is basically an interstellar commando, who is on a mission to capture a rogue biologist who, after being exiled from your world, is now seeking revenge against your commander. However there is an interesting twist at the end of this book, though I will not reveal it, despite the book not being all that good.

This is one of the science-fiction stories, and the writer is trying to create a better feeling of ship to ship fighting, so a few of the combats between ships have you making choices as to how you are going to steer your ship. This of course requires you to try to guess how your enemy is steering their ship. It can be a little confusing, and could also simply result in you losing stamina. Also, there seems to be a lot of instances were you suffer injuries, but I was baffled as to how you were to actually heal your injuries, but maybe that has something to do with the items that you chose at the beginning.

Oh, and there is also a part where you are provided with a list of say six items, and you have to chose two of them to take. Once again there is little in the way of clues to work out what you actually need, and it is only when you get to the end of the section that you work out what you required: that is when you realise that you have stuffed up. Basically you need to collect thirteen points worth of items, but until you reach the end, you have no idea what points the item is worth.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/483833881