Just another fantasy book

Six of Swords (Six of Swords #1) - Carole Nelson Douglas

Once again this is one of those books that I read a very long time ago that I pretty much remember nothing about (with the exception of the cover) and upon finishing it pretty much got tossed back onto the bookshelf to be forgotten forever. A quick glance over the synopsis on Booklikes, and a commentary by somebody who basically uses the phrase 'this is what is wrong with 70% to 80% of fantasy today' and 'this is why critics of the genre hate it so much' pretty much goes to show how bad this book really is. More so, since it had no connection whatsoever with the Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying game meant that even in my teenage years, this book did not really have much of an effect upon me.

I notice that the synopsis mentions that there is a trolloc sorcerer, and I believe that I have seen that name before. In fact I have, though it is unlikely that the author stole that word because this book was written long before the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series appeared. You know, the series that seemed to stretch on forever and of which I only managed to read seven and a half of the books before they pretty much slowed down to a crawl, and a third of the last book that I read of the series simply seemed to have three women talking about absolutely nothing. Mind you, even the Wheel of Time series actually started out really good with a lot of premise (and I can still remember a lot of the books, to an extent). With this book I can remember nothing.

Another thing that appears is this whole idea of magic dying. Why is it that one of the standard themes that seems to appear in all of these fantasy novels is that the magic in the world is dying? Does this have to do with the fact that in our modern world we are beginning to explain away all of the magical aspects of our world with science (and I have even heard scientists turn a discussion of romantic love into an explanation using genetics). Maybe it is that as science tries to explain everything in cold scientific terms, the more magical aspects of our world begin to disappear. Okay, while we do not see lightning as Zeus throwing his thunderbolt to the ground, or earthquakes as Posiedon stamping his feet, the more that science tries to explain things, and the more that God gets pushed into the background as some sort of spectator, the less magical our world becomes. Maybe that is why such things seem to become popular in fantasy, and maybe it is that the writers are trying to snap us out of our dream worlds to come more face to face with reality.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/510250731