Harry's with the fairies

Summer Knight - Jim Butcher

It looks like the people that complained about how much of a sexist pig Harry Dresden is (or the author for that matter) have probably given up by this book (unless it is the first book read). I cannot speak for the author because I can only go by what is in his books, and, well, I guess every author likes to put a part of him or herself into the the characters that they create. However, the one thing that I must point out though is that if every single male protagonist were a sensitive new age guy that never looked at a woman in a sexual manner then all we would have in our books are a bunch of card board cut outs of characters that are too unrealistic to actually believe they exist. I guess it is like those romance novels were the guy is a beautiful specimen of humanity (not that I would know because I have never actually read one of those novels).

In this book, the forth in the Dresden Files, Harry goes up against the world of the Fae (not fairies, but they do appear in this book, with Toot being the major one, who happens to have a hankering for pizza). It seems that we are moving away from the over used vampire and werewolf worlds to come to the little used world of the faeries. Basically Harry is in hiding after starting a war between one of the vampire factions and the wizards, and there are also a number of people out to get him (which is not a new factor in Harry's life). However, one of his friends (a werewolf from book two) decides to help him by setting him up with a job, that happens to be for one of the faerie queens. It is lucky that Harry took the job because it saved his skin when he was forced to answer for his actions before the White Council.

Once again we meet Harry's fairy godmother (and Murphy even jokes about it, though she does not play a major role in this book) and we are also exposed to the structure of the faerie kingdom and the role they play within this world. Morgan is also back, hoping that Harry fails his test so that he can get rid of him once and for all.

These books are not really deep or though provoking, but they are different. Despite that the book still did manage to engross me, though my attention did start to slip a bit at the end. I guess it had to do with all the different characters, and the three versions of the faerie queens from the two fairy courts that made it a little confusing, as well as some of the other entities that were also lurking around. Actually, Dresden does end up coming clean with Murphy in this book, though after the battle at the Walmart she moves into the background.

Oh, and we also meet Harry's sort of sister and first love and discover that she is not a well particularly liked person around the White Council, since she was caught up in the whole mess with his mentor and tutor (who was also a black magician). Now, I am trying to get my hands on the next few (I hope my friend sends them over to me) so that I can continue learning about the world of Harry Dresden (and also see where Butcher takes the series). Oh, another reason this series works is because each of the books are stand alone, though they do refer to some things that happened in previous books.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/470317044