One chilly European Morning

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio - Gary Gygak

Well, now I am sitting in the lobby of the Tulip Inn in Amsterdam on a rather chilly Dutch morning, killing some time while waiting for my train to take me back to Frankfurt (so that I can then fly on to England). As such I thought I might write a couple of more commentaries, and while I could have made some comments when I wrote up on The City of God, I did not feel that it really fitted in, so I decided to also write a commentary on the Fiend Folio. Mind you, before I go on, I should mention that this is strange city for where Bangkok is full of dirty old men, this city is full of young tourists (I have noticed a lot of Germans and English). I suspect that is because they all come flocking over here (especially on weekends) to take part in a rather interesting atmosphere. It was rather amusing to see a fair set up outside Queen Beatrice's palace.

As for this book, well it is a collection of monsters that had appeared in all of the first edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons modules up until its publication. When I had come to the game there was a Monster Manual, and later there was a Monster Manual II, but while I had heard of the Fiend Folio, I did not know that it was a collection of monsters until later. Mind you, I suspect that there are also a lot of new monsters in this collection as well to fill up the pages. However, some people have suggested that they ignore the Fiend Folio because it is full of merely silly monsters.

Later editions have also come out with their own Fiend Folios, and it seems to be one of those titles that tend to be full of odd and uniquely Dungeons and Dragons creatures. When second edition came along, the first two Monsterous Compendiums tended to contain the standard types of monsters, and an updated version of this book came out sometime later. This was also the case with Third Edition, though when I have looked through the 3E version of this book I noted that all of the monsters that were contained therein seemed to have no connections with any of the other editions.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/573000661