The Shadowrun Cops

Lone Star (A Shadowrun Sourcebook, No 7115) - Nigel Findley

It took be a bit of time to locate this book on Goodreads, probably because there are so many books out there with Lone Star in the titles. Lone Star refers to Texas (though I am sure to everybody in the United States, this is a no brainer). In fact for a period of about six months Texas was its own country: the Lone Star republic. This occurred after it had seceded from Mexico but due to the difficulties it faced existing as a separate entity decided to join the United States.

In the Shadowrun world, Texas has become an independent country, once again known as the Lone Star Republic (I think) and basically its major export is, well, a police force. Lone Star is pretty much the Shadowrun world's police force, though it is entirely private. I guess that is what happens with extreme capitalism. Okay, I believe that there still may be a police force around, but I believe that the idea of the Shadowrun Universe is that the government has pretty much shrunk to non-existence and everything that it used to do is now run by private corporations.

Look, I can understand the concept of capitalism in this sense, and in a way this is how it originally developed. Basically operations that could not be funded by the wealth of an individual ended up being funded by governments, but a way that capital was raised to fund these projects was either through issuing debt or shares. The idea is that in private hands the function is much more efficient because it is not dragged down by government bureaucracy. However, the flaw is pretty much the same as the flaw with communism: people will not work for the common good as opposed to self-interest.

Capitalism's response is that by working for one's self interest then society will eventually benefit. For instance, it is irrelevant that you are in debt slavery if you have a roof over your head and the latest entertainment equipment. In fact, the financial crisis came about because America's wealth (that is individual as well as national) was fuelled by debt. To think that we are over it now that the stock market is reaching new highs is a foolish belief because, well, these new highs are no doubt being created through some bubble, as all of the previous highs were. This is unsustainable and sooner or later (and I suspect sooner) the next bubble (government debt) is going to burst in a way from which we are unable to recover (unless of course we go to war again, and that is also quite possible).

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/704557566