Victory is not impossible

Hope in the Dark - Rebecca Solnit

There are a plethora of books out there about what is wrong with the world, and countless pages of research of the various countries, dictators, corporations, and Republicans (as well as Democrats) who are making this world a bad place to live, and the things that they are doing to make this world a bad place to live (as if the world has ever been a good place in which to live, but that is another story for another time), but there are very few books that talk about the victories and the people who are winning against these powers and providing hope for a better, or even a not so darker, future. This book is one of those books.

I guess when I picked it up I grabbed it along with a bulk of the other anti-Bush, anti-Republican party books that were filling up the bookshelves at the time to go onto the list of books to read to remind me of how bad Bush and his corporate cronies really were (as if I needed reminding, but I wanted it anyway). Actually, I guess it wasn't so much the reminding, but rather the research and the arguments (as well as indicators of the evidence of this wrongdoing) that I was interested in, but since this book fell amongst that lot, and since it looked interesting, I bought it and ended up reading it.

As the title says, this book is about hope, and is about those people that are winning victories against the corporate onslaught. Look, it is not impossible, difficult but not impossible, to win against these powers. People believed that it would be impossible to defeat Hitler, but we did. We also thought it impossible to bring down the Soviet Union or to end apartheid in South Africa, but once again we did (though the brighter future for both places never eventuated). Once again, it never seemed possible to end slavery in the Southern States, or to break the power of the corporate monopolies of the early Twentieth century, but once again that was achieved. So, while things may seem difficult at this time, and the corporate bosses live in luxury while those of us down on the ground struggle to make ends meet (okay, I don't, but that is because I go without things like a car or a family), there is always that hope in the dark.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/510439082