The heroes hunt for a horn

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan

Well, I continued reading the series after this one so I guess I still liked it but I have no intention of re-reading them, particularly since I abandoned the last book that I read of this series due to trudging through two hundred pages without anything happening (with the exception of a bunch of women talking, tugging braids, and straightening dresses). The funny thing about this is that we have Rand, the main character, having two women fall madly in love with him. This reminds me of those pathetic Piers Anthony books where the guy has this almost godlike, and completely unrealistic, sex-appeal (and maybe I am writing this because I don't, and am jealous, but seriously, while guys may think with their genitals, woman, or at least most women, don't).

Apparently this book is about a horn that has been stolen and the heroes go on a quest to look for it and, well, find it. However, I was writing about this love triangle that was not really a love triangle. I am not sure if there was ever the case that Rand was torn between the two women (Egwane, a woman that he knew from his home town, and Elayne, a princess) but what I was used to more was the whole one man one woman thing, though these days I do quite like the complex love triangle (as long as it is not a Hollywood movie).

However, it seems that people are moving away from that with their main characters having relationships with two or more women, which sort of rubs me the wrong way. Okay, I have been in the situation where I have been interested in more than one woman and have been tempted to see if I could have both (because I couldn't really chose) however I have always given up on that idea, namely because while I might be happy with the arrangement, I am not convinced that they necessarily would have been. People can be very possessive, especially in relationships, and affairs tend to end really badly for everybody involved (an in particular the adulterer).

Then there is the idea that one person cannot realistically devote equal time to both people in such a relationship. We see this in, surprisingly, the Bible, with the story of Jacob. Jacob ended up having two wives (more because he was cheated than because he could not chose) and what ended up happening was that one woman was the favourite, and the other was, well, the inconvenience. Since both women bore children to him, what ended up happening was that the children born of the favourite in turn because the favourites, and the other children became, well, members of the household.

As such, I find these stories where the hero has a working relationship with multiple partners somewhat unrealistic. Okay, the Mormons argue that it is possible, but the only evidence that they point to is a television series called Big Love. Mind you, they will parade these 'successful' polygamous relationships around as evidence, but we are only seeing what they want us to see and nothing more. As for Islam, well, you may have up to four wives, but for a faith were some sects relegate women to a man's plaything, that is not evidence of a successful polygamous relationship.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/703869097