A Shadowrun city guide

Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America - Tom Dowd

I really don't know why I am writing commentaries on these ropleplaying books but then again I guess it is because when I was younger I had technically read these books (though I why wasted my time on these books is beyond me, but then again it probably had to take a few more years of High School and University to make me change my taste in books). Even then, back in those days, and even in a way these days, I still enjoy the good old roleplaying book and the imagination that does go into writing them.

This is what you would call a Shadowrun city guide. Now, I could once again go on to explain the world of Shadowrun, but I believe that I have done that numerous times previously, and I feel that I would simply be repeating myself if I were to continue to write about what it every time I come to another Shadowrun book that I want to put on my shelf. As such, if you are reading this, and do not know what Shadowrun is, then I will refer you off to one of the many other commentaries on the other Shadowrun books that I have added to my shelves.

As mentioned, this is what is called a Shadowrun city guide, and provides some information on a handful of cities in North America. Once again, surprisingly, Los Angeles does not seem to make it into the Shadowrun books, however San Francisco, Chicago, and New York do. The thing that I should mention about Chicago is that the entire city centre of the city has pretty much become a no-go zone. This is because what are known as insect spirits have taken up residence in the region and when that happens, humans simply do not survive.

Insect Spirits are sort of Shadowrun's answer to the Alien, though surprisingly enough, when the internet became available in the early to mid nineties it was not long before somebody posted the stats for an Alien up somewhere (and it did not take me long to find it and download it). In a way it does not matter how the authors or game designers were able to create something like the alien: nothing could actually beat the alien, or even the predator. In fact, I cannot think of any Hollywood creation that has been more popular than an Alien or a Predator.

As for this book, I guess the reason that I would always drool over it when I was looking through the roleplaying shops was because it was a city guide, and this was back in the days before Google maps, meaning that I had very limited access to how any of the American cities were laid out. Okay, I could have always gone into one of the map stores (there was one that I remember in Adelaide, and it is still there, in which you could get almost any map of almost any region of the world) and purchased an atlas to any of the cities in North America, but then being a teenager without a job (I was lazy and not really motivated) I never really had a huge disposable income. Maybe I should have taken up a job at Woolworths or Coles and not simply wasted my time with my friends.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/508369572