SPOILER ALERT!

Discovering the foreign land of Cornwell

Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five, #12) - Enid Blyton

It seems that by this book, which is the twelfth in the series, Blyton is settling into a rhythm. The Famous Five are not aging and each year is merging into this one never ending year that seems to have an endless amount of holidays (sort of like the Simpsons, except without the endless holidays). This is not all that surprising since the Famous Five are quite popular and obviously there was a demand for the books. Fortunately Harry Potter never turned out like this, but then again Harry Potter has a plot and all of the books were moving towards that end.

The story sees the Five travelling down to Cornwell, and we are suddenly confronted with the Cornish accents. It seems that we are being shown a foreign land which exists within the boundaries of England. Here outsiders are all referred to as foreigners and we are even being introduced to some of the odd ways that people talk. It also seems that the Five seem to have friends and relatives scattered all over England, as they are staying at a farm owned by somebody that somebody knows, and there always seems to be some sort of circus act that turn up as well.

The story behind this story is that there was a group over fifty years ago known as the Wreckers. During stormy nights they would light a lamp and lure ships to the rocks where they would crash, and then the Wreckers would make their way down to the cove and pick up all the cargo that have come to shore. The cargo would then be taken inland and sold on the black market. The false lighthouse was set up where nobody inland would be able to see it, unless they knew where to look.

It is also noticeable that we are introduced to boy name Yan. Basically nobody, but Timmy, like Yan, and for much of the book they are telling him to go away. The only member that seems to accept Yan as a decent person is Timmy, and we all know, at least all of us who have followed the books, that Timmy is not stupid. Okay, he has slipped up, such as with Ragamuffin Jo, but she turned out good in the end anyway. What put me off was that this group of children were actually so mean to Yan, despite the fact that Yan not only turned out to be good, but also saved them as well.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the books are getting boring, they are not. The adventures are still interesting, and they still captivate me as I read them. However, I do sit down and wonder at times whether I will even have the opportunity of sharing them with children of my own. The answer probably is unlikely, but then again, who knows what the future may bring.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/451970906