A christian loom at psychology

The Essence Of Psychology (Modern Belief) - Kirsten R. Birkett

The reason I read this book was probably because I was looking for something to support my distrust of the psychological institution. In a way it could be similar to Hubbard's hatred of psychology, but in another way it could be because I see psychologists as basically people with university degrees that get you to sit in their office and tell them all of your problems, and then bill you for the pleasure afterwards. Personally, the Hubbardian understanding of psychology seems to have more to do with mind control than with being some con designed to swindle people out of their money, which is not surprising coming from the founder of a religion that in itself practices mind control, in the same way that this book also comes out of an organisation that itself practices some limited form of mind control.

Having now been to a psychologist I have a better understanding on how they work within society. As they would say, their job is to assist people coming to terms with, and hopefully curing, mental illness. There is a difference between psychologists and psychiatrists, which generally comes down to the fact that one (psychiatrist) can prescribe drugs and has a medical degree, while the other (psychologist) can't prescribe drugs and doesn't have a medical degree. In a way both of them spend a lot of time asking questions and trying to come to understand who you are (without actually stepping out and attempting to define who you are, with the exception of positive reinforcements, such as 'you are obviously an intelligent person' and 'you have a clear understanding of your surroundings'). What I am generally describing though are what one would consider 'good' psychologists.

One of the main tactics that psychologists use to assist people with mental illness is the concept of thought control. Basically that is being able to control the thoughts that intrude upon your mind and force you into an adverse mental state. These thoughts can come independently, or they can be caused by somebody else actually putting them to you. You will no doubt regularly encounter people who practice was is called negative reinforcement, which is what they do to try to undermine you through encompassing statements that will not you let respond to them in a effort to exert control over you and in turn seek to enslave you.

That is why I consider, and have come to conclude, that psychology can actually be quite dangerous. Granted, they will not be able to wave a magic wand and make everything go away, and further they will not be able to solve your problems, but the good ones will he able to help to see the world about you much more clearly and help you understand and combat those negative thoughts that intrude your mind. No wonder Hubbard hates the concept of psychology because what it does is that it works to undermine his ability to control the followers within his religion. In fact, any form of thought control can work to counter the controlling influence that certain people and organisations seek to have over you. This is why when you pick up a book that goes out of its way to attack and undermine psychology, you need to begin to question the reasons why they are doing so. As for this book, I can tell you that Birkett is associated with the broad Christian church, of whose members contain a number of psychologists, so I highly doubt that she would go out of her way to undermine the concept.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/825966037