Adventure with a smart mouthed demon and his cheeky apprentice

Another Fine Myth - Robert Lynn Asprin

One of the main reasons that I read this book was because it kept on appearing on the Goodread's sidebar entitled 'Readers also enjoyed' which I suspect has something to do with all of the Terry Pratchett books that I have read. Okay, I generally don't pay all that much to Goodreads recommendations, but when I was much younger a friend of mine was really into the series and he had been trying to get me to read them as well. Well, it has taken years but I finally (after being prompted by Goodreads) asked another friend, who also has the series, if I could borrow the first one – this one, and yes, I quite enjoyed it (though I am still not going to be blindly taking on Goodreads recommendations, especially with the number of books still on my shelf).

Okay, it's not Terry Pratchett, and while it is only the first book, the world itself didn't seem to be hugely developed, but it was still quite entertaining, and amusing. In fact, it seemed that the story was much more character driven and unlike Discworld, the world of Another Fine Myth, seems to sit quietly in the background allowing us to focus on some of the rather strange, and comical, encounters that the two main characters, Skeeve and Aahz, experience.

Basically Skeeve used to be a farmer, or was supposed to be a farmer, but instead decided to become a thief, and it seemed that that occupation didn't work out because he landed up as an apprentice to a magician. However, during one of his lessons, when the magician summons a demon, the magician is killed by an assassin which results in the demon (which actually means 'dimension traveller') being trapped on Skeeve's world. Adding the Aahz's problems is that Skeeve's master had stripped Aahz of his powers literally stranding him (otherwise he would have simply gone home). Then there is the assassination, which triggers a hunt for a magician that wants to take over the dimensions, as well as trying to escape from a couple of nasty imps that appear to be on their trail.

As I said, it is not satire in the vein of Terry Pratchett where the story pokes fun at modern society through the lens of a fantasy world, but rather a couple of larger than life cartoonish characters making their way through the adventure (though not necessarily stumbling because Aahz at least knows what he is doing and what is going on) poking fun at each other and those around them, and in a way outsmarting their enemies without actually drawing any blood (which also adds to the lighthearted aspect of this story). As I said, the characters are larger than life, such as Tananda, who regularly refers to Skeeve as 'handsome' even though she is leading a group of thugs to roll him, and the dragon Gleep (because all he says is 'gleep') who becomes attached to Skeeve because he nibbled on his shirt. Still, I've probably given way too much away already because this is one of those little gems that you should read knowing as little about it as possible.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1185680413