A much more streamlined rule system

Dungeon Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II v. 3.5 (Dungeons & Dragons d20 System) - Wizards Team

As I sit here, in an awesome hotel (the Grande Royal) on an awesome street (Inverness Street) in an awesome part (Queensbury) of an awesome city (London) with Pink Floyd (Welcome to the Machine) playing in the background, I am wondering what I should do now on the last day of one of the best holidays that I have ever had (and is going to be very hard to top). Well, I was actually asking that question of myself as I was wondering through Hyde Park on a very cold spring morning (unseasonal as I have been told) with flurries of light snow whirling around me. Then I hit upon an idea – I will write a commentary on the Dungeon Master's Guide, 3rd Edition.
    Well, I guess what I have said about previous Dungeon Master's Guides sort of applies to this one, but I actually found this edition a lot better (but then again 3rd Edition is probably my favourite edition). Where in the previous versions the best, and most useful part, about the guide was the treasures, this particular one actually has a lot more. Firstly it introduces prestige classes, which I think are a great idea. Prestige classes take multi-classing to a new level, and you do not have to muck around with those kits that they introduced in second edition (though you still have kits in 3rd edition). The classes here are not complete, and many, many more have been introduced in the various other supplements.
    The second thing was the way that they redesigned traps (and there is a whole chapter containing traps). Traps now work like monsters, which I think is a great idea because it pretty much simplifies everything into one system. As such there isn't a different set of rules for dealing with traps, objects, and monsters. In fact everything (including walls and doors) now behave like monsters (in a rule sense that is, not a real sense).
    Unfortunately, it may be necessary to drag this book along with you to the gaming sessions because there is a lot of stuff in here that will assist you in running the game. Then again it depends on whether you pre-prepare your modules or not. I generally have, but then I can be pretty bad when I pre-prepare adventures as I end up writing them as if they were going to be published (but then again I have actually posted a number of them on the internet, though the website that I posted them on has since been taken down). I guess I also like to write and thus when writing adventures I like to write them as if they were going to be published. However that can be incredibly time consuming, so the last few games that I played (would have been last year since I now live in Melbourne and no longer have a group) I simply resorted to notes.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/577391853