The source of one of the most beloved of movies

The Princess Bride - William Goldman

This was one of those books that I never knew existed until a friend of mine told be about it (and I then proceeded to borrow it off of her). She said that she had got the book from the United States, and did not believe it was available here. However, I accidentally spilt something on it so I was in a panic as to how to get her a new copy of it when, while in Melbourne one year, I had wondered into a Pop Culture store called Minotaur and saw it sitting there on the shelf. As such I immediately purchased it so that I could give it to her as a replacement (and it even had the same cover).

The Princess Bride is probably one of those movies that pretty much anybody who has seen it has enjoyed it. It has everything in it and seems to be able to appeal across such a broad spectrum of society. While I might suggest that it has attained a cult status, I feel that the movie itself goes beyond that in that it is not a niche that the movie appeals to but a much broader spectrum of the population. It is also one of those movies that just seems to hang around for a long time, and if it does appear in a video shop, the movie is pretty quickly purchased (or stolen).

Anyway, while I feel that I could describe the story, it is probably well known anyway. It is a love story with action and adventure thrown into it. In fact, it has been a while since I read the book (or even seen the movie, even though I do own a copy of it) that I can only remember bits and pieces of it. I do know that it is a love story about a boy who would do anything for this women, until they are torn apart, so he rushes off to rescue her.

The funny thing about the book is that the authors claims to have written it from an older work, though it turns out that this older work does not exist. The claim was that this particular story is a story that is set in another land (which does not exist). For a while (in fact right up until I read a review on Goodreads) I believed that what Goldman was saying was in fact true. Even when he talks about the original book being full of descriptions of a wardrobe, I believe that the original really existed (and had dated this writing of the book between about 1790 and 1850 due to a mention about Australia being a land of convicts, though there are still people around who think of us as such) because such things can actually be found in books written by ancient authors (the Iliad contains a chapter which is made up of a list of ships and a census of soldiers fighting in the war). However it is funny that Goldman never got into any flack because of this, but then I suspect that that is because he was not trying to make money by claiming to be writing an autobiography. This is simply an adventure story.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/568590509