An obsolete book from my youth

Games Commodore 64 Computers Play - Robert Young, Roger Bush

This book is pretty obsolete since it contains a number of games written for the Commodore 64 that you have to type in yourself. I still remember those days (which is unfortunately giving away my age) where if you wanted a game you either had to write it yourself or buy a book and copy the code out from it. We did a lot of that with my Dad's first computer, a Sorcerer (which was supposed to be a games machine, but ended up falling flat on its face). Even with the Commodore 64, despite having a large number of games available, I would still become board with what I had and would write my own (particularly adventure games, otherwise known as interactive fiction).

These days I have discovered that there are huge amounts of Commodore 64 games posted up on the internet along with emulators. I remember as a kid I was never happy with the games that I had and always wanted more, and now, so many years later, with access to the internet, I have more games than I could ever play (let alone complete) in a life time. This also includes PC games (because there are also a multitude available on the internet as well, and they are not even pirated), along with games with numerous other, obsolete, gaming platforms. Anyway, I generally don't play many games anymore, and if I do get an urge to, I have plenty of them on my PC at home.

This particular book, as I have mentioned, is a collection of games written by a couple of programmers who had been around since the days when computers were only available to governments, large corporations, and universities. In those days, even in those large institutions, you had to time share the computer. They mentioned that the first game they came across was a game called Zork (which is actually a very famous adventure game). This was on a computer in an English University and you could only play it during your allotted time (which is similar to my house in my teenage years where we could only play on our computer during our allotted times, but these days we each have a computer – and in my case two, which doesn't include the smartphone).

Typing out computer games was fun, at least where I was concerned, and in some ways I kick myself for not getting in on the ground floor of the internet revolution. As a kid, and a teenager, I was more interested in playing games than I was actually using a computer to write useful applications and actually learning how to program utilities and operating systems. Oh well, if I had done that I probably would not have discovered the joys of literature and post-modernism.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/766884117