Not to be confused with 'The Amazing Spiderman'

Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 5: Public Scrutiny - Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Bagley

Well when I was wondering through my local lending libraries I discovered that there was quite a large collection of graphic novels, including not just the multitude of Manga graphic novels but also a collection of superhero graphic novels as well. Now, I have never really been a fan of the super hero comics, and I generally don't read many graphic novels anyway (unless of course they are Tintin or Asterix) but I decided that I would grab a Spiderman one and read through it to see what it was like. Well, I have read a couple in the past, one being an X-men graphic novel and another being a Wolverine Graphic novel, however I simply found them to be rather ordinary (and that yellow spandex uniform that they wear is rather annoying). I have since grabbed some more from the library (after returning Spiderman) if only to bump up the number of books that I have read, and also since they are pretty quick to read anyway.

The problem with these comics though is that they do have some form of order in which things begin to unfold, and then there are multiple different universes which can be considered to be some form of reboot, though the multiple universes do end up running side by side. This particular comic is set in what they call the Ultimate Universe (which is why it is called The Ultimate Spiderman, as opposed to The Amazing Spiderman, which I suspect is also a different universe from the comic series simply titled Spiderman).

In a way I find Spiderman to be kind of cool, but maybe that is because I liked the Sam Rami trilogy (and now they have rebooted it by calling it The Amazing Spiderman, and I wonder if sometime in the future there will be another reboot called the Ultimate Spiderman). Anyway, this particular comic has Spiderman come up against, well, nothing in particular. The first part of it has him trying to get away from school (including darting away from a parent-teacher interview, dodging the principle, and then escaping some bullies) only to discover that the monster that is rampaging through New York has been stopped by none other than Iron Man (though I suspect that he looks nothing like Robert Downey Jnr).

Then somebody decides to put on a spiderman costume and start robbing banks and jewellery stores, and in the meantime Gwen Stacey's father is unceremoniously blown to bits (saving a little boy) the day after her mother walked out on her. Also, Peter Parker's relationship with MJ is once again on the rocks (if the movies are anything to go by) and despite her knowing that he is Spiderman, decides that the stress of having him risk his life and worrying whether he will ever come homes, comes to the conclusion that she has to break up with him (as if that will actually stop anything, because it is not as if she had decided that he is a jerk, she still loves him, she does doesn't want to worry about him anymore, but the problem is that she will no doubt continue to worry about him, so breaking up won't stop anything – apparently that is why there is such a high divorce rate among police officers in the United States).

Well, I seem to have rambled on a bit on this comic, so I guess it is now time to turn my attention elsewhere, though I do have a Nightwing Graphic Novel, and X-men graphic novel, and an Amazing Spiderman graphic novel to read and comment on now. That is the thing that I like about lending libraries is that you can get your hands of books and read them, and you can dump them back on them afterwards without having to pay a cent. However the problem is that you are severely limited by their collection, and as can be suspected, people probably borrow them with no intention of ever returning them.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/790610264